Wednesday, 9 September 2026

reading

 I want to write about this because it was something I found striking during my English Lit class today. I was amongst eleven out of my class of thirty who was currently reading a book. And in a survey my school posted, only 36% of my school were frequent readers. That's just crazy to me.

Reading shouldn't be a chore. It should be for pleasure. Not just a way to build fundamental growth, but a way to dive into different realms and imagine things for yourself. You can design characters in your head, map out the different scenes and just really immerse yourself in the words. 

I genuinely think you're not cool if you're against reading. There's a girl in my class who was making fun of us eleven who read, when in reality it's just sad if you're spending your time doomscrolling on TikTok when you could be reading. I won't be mean and assume she spends her time doomscrolling, but she sure doesn't possess much political opinions or debatability on certain ideas.

It is wrong to call someone politically unaware, because a lot of the time people don't form ideas on events mostly because they don't want to think about it. Maybe because they have family involved, or they themselves have some sort of personal connection to the affair - or it could just be that they don't want to think about wars and famine and corrupt governments. 

I just personally love creating booklists, talking about books, writing reports on books and getting cosy in my bed with a good book. If people don't read, society dies. Society is unable to flourish if everyone is being influenced by social media. 

It makes me really sad, this literary crisis we are facing. Some of my fondest memories are getting stuck in some really gripping books.

Little Women is one of my favourite books, and it pretty easy going. It is definitely one of the easier classics, so if you are reading this blog post and thinking 'Geez, I haven't read in ages!' go and buy a copy of Little Women, put your phone on Do Not Disturb, place it in another room and read. 

1 comment:

  1. I get this so hard, feel like as I grew up as well there were less people who read in general, which is sad because reading is so fun!

    ReplyDelete

angels ,

Soon I will be updating this blog for the Autumn/Winter months, and I'm so excited ! I have really loved this summer 2000s vibe so far, ...